Applications and procedures: Visas and residence permits

Home » Welcome to France » Welcome Guide » Applications and procedures: Visas and residence permits

how to apply for a visa with Campus France?

Discover the list of countries and territories with the Etudes en France (EEF) procedure

Benin, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Cameroon, Chad, Comoros, Congo, Ivory Coast, Democratic Republic of Congo, Djibouti, Ethiopia, Gabon, Ghana, Guinea, Madagascar, Mali, Mauritania, Mauritius, Niger, Nigeria, Senegal, South Africa, Togo.

Cambodia, China, Hong Kong, India, Indonesia, Japan, Malaysia, Singapore, South Korea, Taiwan,
Thailand, Vietnam.

Argentina, Bolivia, Brazil, Canada, Chile, Colombia, Ecuador, Haiti, Mexico, Peru, United States,
Dominican Republic.

Algeria, Bahrain, Egypt, Iran, Israel, Kuwait, Lebanon, Morocco, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Palestinian Territories, Tunisia, United Arab Emirates.

Azerbaijan, Georgia, Russia, Turkey, United Kingdom,


If you are studying in France for 3 MONTHS OR LESS, you will need a SHORT-TERM VISA:

This type of visa is issued to people entering France to take part in short-term training programs, internships, conferences and company meetings not exceeding 90 days. With this visa, you won’t be able to benefit from the advantages of a long-stay visa (access to employment, social security, housing assistance). You will not be able to stay in France beyond its expiry date. This visa does not entitle you to apply for a French residence permit. If you wish to extend your stay, you must apply for a new visa from your country of origin.

I have a “Student-in-competition” short stay visa (visa court séjour “concours”), do I need to go back to my country and request a long stay visa ?

If you have obtained a short-stay “student-in-competition” visa (court séjour concours visa) and passed your entrance exam after coming to France to sit it, you can apply directly to the prefecture for a student residence permit. Visit your local prefecture website for details of the procedure.

If you are studying in France for MORE THAN 3 MONTHS to 1 YEAR, you will need a long- stay visa valid as a resident permit (VLS-TS).


To apply for a visa, you must gather the following documents:
– Valid passport.
– Passport photos (according to consulate requirements.)
– Documents proving that you have sufficient financial means for the entire study period, i.e. €615 / month (as of July 2022). Please visit France Visas as this amount may be subject to change
– Proof of accommodation for the first three months of your stay.
– Proof of enrolment from higher education institution: letter of acceptance or certificate of enrolment.

If your country is subject to the “Études en France” procedure :
The “Etudes en France” procedure becomes the reference procedure for non-EU countries. Students living in one of the 66 countries covered by the “Études en France” procedure must make a specific application to enroll in a higher education establishment via the “Études en France” platform, and apply for a visa. To find out if your country is one of the 66, see the list above or click here.

On this platform, you must :
– Submit your documents
– Enter your educational background and qualifications
– Submit your application to Campus France and pay the fees. You’ll need to specify the Campus France area that applies to you. This depends on where you live. Example: you are Senegalese and live in Cameroon. You must register the Espace Campus France du Cameroon.
– Then you’ll have an educational interview with Campus France and take a French language test.
(See tutorials in the resources section below)

If your country does not have Campus France’s “Études en France” procedure, contact the French consulate closest to your city or consult the official France Visas website for information about your visa application.

Please note that the process can take some time, so applying for a visa as soon as you receive your official acceptance letter from OMNES Education or your school is encouraged.

Studely makes it easy for you to prove your financial resources when applying for a visa, thanks to personalized support.

By choosing Studely’s “Blocked Account”, you benefit from several advantages:

  • Secure, reliable proof of income recognized by consular services and prefectures.
  • A rapid solution with a maximum 48-hour turnaround.
  • Attractive rates, less expensive than a local bank.
  • More and more useful when looking for student accommodation in France.

As an OMNES Education partner, students can benefit from advantages when they open a blocked account. Be sure to ask our teams for the link to benefit from it.


If you arrived in France with a VLS-TS (long-stay visa), “ETUDIANT”, “ETUDIANT-MOBILITE” or “ETUDIANT-MOBIL” visa, you must validate your visa online within 3 months of your arrival.


To study in France, all non-European students need a student visa. Watch this short video to find out everything you need to know about the procedures for
validating your visa as soon as you arrive
in France.


Go to the government website ANEF (Administration des étrangers en France) and click on “je valide mon VLS-TS” (I validate my VLS-TS).Have your passport, visa and credit card with you. It only takes 10 to 15 minutes to validate. You must do this within three months of your arrival in France, in order to transform it into a residence permit valid for the duration of your studies. It will allow you to stay in France legally and benefit from social advantages.

The process is very simple:

  • Enter your visa number – Indicate date of validity, date of issue, and reference number “CESEDA R311-3 6”.
  • Complete with additional information: family situation, telephone number, e-mail address – Indicate your date of arrival and the address of your place of residence in France
  • Pay the tourist tax corresponding to your visa (approx. €50). You can buy an electronic stamp online. The option is available on the website.

Once validated, you will receive on your e-mail address

  • Your ANEF login details
  • Download your VLS-TS validation confirmation. You can also download it later by logging on to your ANEF personal space.

You should always carry this document with you, along with a copy of your passport. And with your visa validated, you’re entitled to apply for housing subsidies, register with Social Security, and work a maximum of 964 hours a year (20 hours a week on average)

If you do not validate your visa within the first three months of your arrival, you will no longer be considered a legal resident in France and will not be able to re-enter the Schengen area. Most consulates provide instructions when issuing visas.

I have obtained a “school-age minor” visa. Do I need to validate my visa online?

If you have a long-stay visa for a “school-going minor”, you don’t need to validate your visa online. Within 2 months of following your 18th birthday, you must apply for a residence permit. You have two options:
– If your visa is valid for no more than 3 months at the time you log on to the ANEF website, you can create an account and submit your application online.
– If your visa is valid for more than 3 months when you apply for a residence permit, contact your local prefecture to find out how to proceed.

I am an Algerian student, I have a long-stay “student” visa with a residence permit to apply for on arrival.

If you hold this card, you must apply for a “student” residence permit on the ANEF (Administration des étrangers en France) website within 2 months of your arrival in France. To find out how, go to:


Plan ahead to renew your residence permit if it expires in the next 5 months.


All students holding a one-year visa or residence permit must renew their permit in order to continue studying in France.
Watch this short video to find out everything you need to know about renewing your permit.


To apply, go to the government website ANEF (Administration des étrangers en France) and click on “je demande ou renouvelle un titre de séjour” (I would like to apply or renew my resident permit.)

It’s very simple. First, you need to gather the following documents:
– Valid residence permit or VLS-TS
– A valid e-photo and digital signature
– A copy of your passport
– Proof of address less than 3 months old
– A document certifying that you have the financial resources to continue your studies in France for one year (i.e. €615 per month).
– A certificate of enrolment from the educational establishment or pre-registration
– A certificate of achievement
– Your transcripts from your academic year

Then you can apply online:
– Fill in your personal information
– Enter the reason for your stay (current school year, school, diploma)
– Declare your resources and their origin
– Attach any supporting documents you have collected.
– Check that all the information you have entered is correct.
– Validate your request

Our advice: Always respect deadlines, even if you don’t have all the documents. Even if you haven’t yet gathered all the necessary documents, we strongly advise you to submit your renewal application within the allotted time (4 to 2 months before your permit expires). If you don’t yet have the required documents when you apply, don’t worry, you can submit documents explaining when the required documents will be available. That way, you’ll keep your rights.

Once validated, you will receive your PDF deposit confirmation by e-mail, or you can download it from your ANEF account.
If the processing time for your application is likely to exceed the expiry date of your current residence permit, the government services can issue an attestation de prolongation d’instruction (ADP) which – attached to the expired residence permit – allows you to maintain your rights, and to not find yourself in a irregular situation.
Once your application has been approved, you will receive a certificate of approval with the new validity dates of your card. Once you’ve received your residence permit, you’ll receive an email or SMS, and all you have to do is make an appointment to collect it.

Please note that it is essential to have social security cover when applying.

If you are asked for additional documents, you must submit them within 30 days of the request.

When to apply?

You must apply within 4 to 2 months before your residence permit expires. 

It is your responsibility ans duty to renew your residence permit on time. If you don’t respect the deadlines, you risk finding yourself in an irregular situation on French territory. In addition to jeopardizing the success of your studies at your school, you will no longer be able to benefit from the advantages of the title (internship, work-study contract, Social Security, housing subsidy.)


At the end of your studies, you’re planning to stay in France to find a job or set up your own business. To do this, you need to change your status, and opt for one that allows you to work.

If you meet the criteria, and depending on your nationality, several residence permits may be available to you:

Carte de séjour Recherche d’emploi ou création d’entreprise, RECE (“job seeker/ new business creator” residence permit”)
the most advantageous:

It allows you to :
look for a job in line with your diploma and earning at least 1.5 SMIC (30,767 euros gross per year);
develop a business in a field corresponding to your diploma.
Duration: 1 year non-renewable

you need to have obtained within the year :
– A degree at least equivalent to a Master’s
– A professional bachelor’s degree
– A diploma accredited by the Conférence des Grandes Ecoles (specialized Master’s degree or Master of Sciences)
– Any diploma covered by the Order of May 12, 2011 establishing the list of diplomas at least equivalent to a Master’s degree.
When : before the expiry of your student residence permit, or after returning to your country of origin within 4 years.
How : you must be in possession of your diploma or final certificate of achievement issued by the certification/diploma jury
Where: Each procedure differs from one prefecture to another, so it’s best to find out more on the website of the prefecture where you live, or contact it directly.

This card allows students to stay and work in France without restriction for one year. After obtaining a RECE residence permit, you will need to apply for a change of professional status. The issue of this permit marks the end of the student’s studies. A “student” permit cannot therefore be applied for at the end.

APS : autorisation de provisoire de séjour (temporary residence permit)

If you are not eligible for a RECE card because of your nationality, you can apply for a temporary residence permit. The conditions and procedures are similar to those for a RECE permit.

Useful resources:

Algerian students !

As these two residence permits are not available for Algerian students, to find out which permit you need to work, please consult the following link:


You don’t need a visa to study in France; your passport will suffice, unless you have special citizenship status or a residence permit from your country of residence. In this case, you should contact the nearest French consulate or embassy, or the one in your city, to find out whether a visa is required and what steps need to be taken. We invite you to visit the official France Visas website. It is your responsibility to obtain this visa before arriving in France.

Resources and advice

All students are encouraged to consult the Campus France website, as well as France Visa, for detailed information on how to apply for a study visa:

Updated 31 January 2024